Every year there are millions of car accidents in the United States. These accidents often result in personal injuries. But what happens when you get injured without a personal injury protection insurance policy? You may end up paying for your medical expenses, which can be extremely expensive.
TX Insurance Quotes, the most reliable auto insurance company in Texas, is your most practical resource to obtain affordable auto insurance and protect yourself from unforeseen financial losses.
What is Personal Injury Protection Insurance?
Personal injury protection insurance (PIP) is one of the subset coverages of an auto insurance policy. It is also referred to as “no-fault” coverage because it pays for your medical expenses and lost wages, regardless of who caused the accident.
Although broadly, PIP covers some of the same things as medical payments coverage, there are a few key differences. PIP insurance is designed with auto accident victims in mind so it will cover injuries sustained in an accident that a standard health insurance policy would not.
What is Covered Under PIP Insurance?
Personal injury protection insurance covers the policyholder, their spouse, other family members who live in their household, and people driving the policyholder’s car with their permission. In addition, if you meet with an accident while driving someone else’s car or are a pedestrian or bicyclist and you are hit by a vehicle, PIP will also cover you.
The expenses covered by PIP may vary from state to state, but typically it will cover:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, rehabilitation, and other medical treatments.
- Lost wages: If you cannot work because of your injuries, PIP will reimburse you for some of your lost wages.
- Death benefits: In the event of a death, PIP will provide financial assistance to the surviving family members.
- Funeral expenses: PIP will also cover the cost of a funeral up to a specific limit.
What is not Covered Under PIP Insurance?
As mentioned earlier PIP is designed to cover expenses related to injuries sustained in an auto accident and will not go beyond that. So, here are some of the things that PIP will not cover:
- Property damage: PIP will not cover damage to your car or other property. For that, you will need to purchase collision and comprehensive coverage. If the other driver is at fault, their liability insurance will cover the damage caused to your vehicle.
- Pain and suffering: PIP will not reimburse you for any pain and suffering you experience due to the accident.
- Injuries not sustained in an auto accident: If you are injured in a slip and fall or other types of accident, PIP will not cover your medical expenses.
- Expenses exceeding the limit: PIP will only cover costs up to your policy’s limit. Anything beyond that will be your responsibility.
It is essential to understand what is and is not covered under PIP insurance before you purchase an auto insurance policy in Victoria. Otherwise, you may find yourself without the coverage you need when you need it most.
How Much Does Personal Injury Protection Insurance Cost?
As with any insurance policy, personal injury protection insurance costs will vary depending on several factors. These include:
- The state you live In: Some states require all drivers to have PIP coverage while others do not. In states where it is needed, the state will set the minimum amount of coverage.
- Your age and gender: Younger and male drivers are typically seen as more high-risk and pay higher premiums.
- Your driving history: If you have a history of accidents or traffic violations, you can expect to pay higher rates for PIP coverage.
- The type of car you drive: Sports cars and other high-end vehicles are more expensive to insure than economy cars.
- The coverage you purchase: The more coverage you buy, the higher your premium will be.
- Your deductible: The higher your deductible, the lower your premium will be.
With so many variables, the best way to get an accurate auto insurance quote in Beaumont, TX, is to get quotes from multiple insurers. This way, you can compare rates and coverage and choose the right policy for you.
Do you Need Personal Injury Protection Insurance?
If you live in a state where it is required by law, then the answer is yes. But what if you live in a state where it is not needed? In that case, you should weigh the below factors to decide if PIP insurance is right for you.
- How adequate is your car insurance? PIP coverage is designed to supplement your car insurance and ensure that you have the coverage you need in an accident. However, If you already have hefty auto insurance in Odessa with good coverage, you may not need PIP.
- How often do you travel with passengers: If you frequently have passengers in your car, it may be worth considering PIP insurance. You will not be held liable for their medical expenses if they are injured in an accident.
- How much can you afford to pay out of pocket: One of the most significant benefits of PIP insurance is that it will cover your medical expenses in the event of an accident. PIP is a good option if you cannot afford to pay for your medical treatment.
- What kind of health insurance do you have: If you have health insurance that will cover your medical expenses in the event of an accident, then you may not need PIP. However, if your health insurance has a high deductible or does not cover certain types of treatment, PIP insurance could help fill in the gaps.
Purchasing personal injury protection insurance is a decision that should be made individually. There is no one size fits all answer. Instead, you should consider your needs and budget to decide if PIP is right.
Related Read: Non-owner Car Insurance what it is and how it works.
The Benefits of Choosing TX Insurance Quotes for Personal Injury Protection
There are several reasons to choose TX Insurance Quotes for your injury protection insurance. First, we are an independent insurance agency which means we work with many insurers. This allows us to compare rates and coverage and find the best policy for you. We are also a local company, so we have a vested interest in our Texan customers. We want to ensure you have the coverage you need at a price you can afford. Lastly, we have over 35 years of experience in the insurance industry. We know what we are doing and are here to help you.
Get started today by getting a free quote from TX Insurance Quotes today!